Sedation is the state of consciousness reduction, preserving the patient’s capacity to breathe spontaneously.
IMPORTANT: sedation treatment Clínica Dental Alcalá is carried out by a specialist in the sector and not by a general dentist anesthesiologist.
- Minimal Sedation. The patient is awake, responding to verbal stimuli, slight changes in the cognitive function and coordination.
- Moderate Sedation.In this type, consciousness is more depressed than in the previous one. In this one, the patient preserves the spontaneous breathing capacity and maintains the airway control and protection. There exists a minor verbal and physical stimulus. The patient is calm and maintains certain degree of amnesia.
- Deep Sedation. In this state, is not easy to wake up the patient. It stays in deep sleep and the verbal and physical stimuli is reduced. If stimulI is persistant, the patient responds adequately. The patient breathes spontaneously and the airway reflexes slightly reduced.
Which type of sedation is the most suitable in Dentistry?
The most applicable sedation is the moderate or deep sedation. There is no defined line between both of them and one of them will be conducted according to the patient’s requirements and procedure. In these two types, the amnesia and welfare of the patient, finalizing the procedure, is usually the general rule.
What wants to control sedation?
To which patients is it aimed at?
- Physically or mentally disabled.
- Patients with neurological or musculoskeletal diseases.
- Healthy children that as per procedure and duration need prolonged immobility.
- Generally, healthy patients that by their conditions of fear, fobia, anxiety.. Need to remain calm throughout the procedure.
What are the objectives?
- Minimize the mental and physical discomfort.
- Obtain the adequate cooperation in order to minimize the risks and to facilitate the procedure.
- Obtain the immobility and ensure children’s safety.
- Easily reversal the sedation state.
- Permanent safety of the patient.
How it should be done and who should do it?
It should be done in the best conditions to ensure the patients safety, with measurement of blood oxygen saturation, blood pressure control, oxygen supply though nasal cannula. The medication is dispensed through intravenous route and the procedure should be performed and monitored by an anesthesiologist.